TEACHING THE WHOLE STUDENT—BODY, MIND, AND SPIRIT—SINCE 1952
St. John's Episcopal School began as a Kindergarten in 1952 and was called the St. John's Day School.
The single Kindergarten class had an enrollment of 18 students. Classes met in various buildings in the parish of Church of the Heavenly Rest, Episcopal. One grade was added each year. By 1961, a surplus army Quonset hut had been added approximately where the present Parish Hall stands. By January of 1967, enrollment had increased to over 200 students from kindergarten through the sixth grade. Thanks to a most generous gift of property on South Bowie Drive, the parish and the School raised funds to construct buildings. Classes began in those facilities in the fall of 1968.
In 1983, the Bowie Street property was sold and the School was relocated to its current location at 1600 Sherman Drive. The 33-acre campus and school buildings had been built and operated as Central Catholic Junior and Senior High School in the early 1960’s. The Facility Manager and custodian maintain 55,000 square feet of classrooms, restrooms, offices, workrooms, gymnasium, lunchrooms, and chapel.
Once at Sherman drive, a seventh grade level was added. In 1987, the first Pre-Kindergarten class for 4-year old's was added to the list of programs available at St. John’s. In 1990, the first class Early Pre-Kindergarten class for 3-year old's began.
At the present time, St. John's serves students from two years old through the fifth grade.